Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Blood On My Tracks Disc 1 Song 8

Track 8. Mr. Tambourine Man

In reviewing Bob’s discography I notice that this is the side two for the vinyl Bringing It All Back Home:

Side two
1. "Mr. Tambourine Man" – 5:30
2. "Gates of Eden" – 5:40
3. "It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)" – 7:29
4. "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" – 4:12

I am of the era of Compact Discs so this is the first time I had that fact register in my brain. My God, is this the greatest side in vinyl history? For you vinyl folks out there give me some competition.

That is a stunning thing to look at really. So heavy the ship starts sinking and the rats start climbing the mastheads.

If my memory serves me well, this is the first Dylan song I loved. It falls right in line with the imaginations of a young man and is determinedly some of the most beautiful lyrics Bob Dylan ever pinned. It’s a difficult song to come back to after you have taken the time to let the breadthof it sink in. I listened to it a thousand times, probably in a row in an obsessed fashion as a kid. I go back but rarely, it kind of haunts me in a way – weird.

Bringing It All Back Home is off the board (slow tear falls for Gates of Eden, It’s Allright Ma, It’s All Over Now Baby Blue, Love Minus Zero No Limit, She Belongs To Me).

No comments:

Post a Comment