Thursday, May 28, 2009

Blood On My Tracks Disc 2 Song 2

Track 2. Mississippi

The home of Jimmie Rodgers and Robert Johnson on that Highway 61 that leads right up to Hibbing Minnesota. I've got to say that Bob Dylan has written a grand statement for anyone in love with American Roots music.

“Only one thing I did wrong. I stayed in Mississippi a day too long.”

There is so much in that line, it really does say it all if you too are in love with those old songs. Like a Rolling Stone had the fire of someone on the way. Mississippi is just as alive with the fire of someone who has been there.

“My clothes are wet, tight on my skin
Not as tight as the corner that I painted myself in
I know that fortune is waitin' to be kind
So give me your hand and say you'll be mine”

The melody is one of his best, Mississippi is just a great song.

Love and Theft is off the board. Slow tear falls for High Water, Summer Days, Cry a While, Po Boy, Moonlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment