Friday, May 2, 2008

Number 2 Darkness on the Edge of Town


Number 2 Darkness on the Edge of Town
Artist: Bruce Springsteen
Released: June 2nd, 1978

Track Listing
Badlands
Adam Raised A Cain
Something In The Night
Candy's Room
Racing In The Streets
Promised Land
Factory
Streets of Fire
Prove It All Night
Darkness on the Edge of Town


Tonight tonight the highway's bright out of our way mister you best keep. 'Cause summer's here and the time is right for goin' racin' in the street.

I believe in this record. Right down to the bone I believe in this record. You want to know about me, listen closely and you'll get a good idea. You are what you eat and when I was just a kid I ate this up. I would listen to my older brother's cassette tape of Racing in the Street live from the 75' to 85' set over and over again which led me eventually to the album.

Pulling into Mosley High School at 7:15 AM in a 78' Camaro with The Promised Land on full blast.

Writing a paper in my Junior year English class comparing Darkness on the Edge of Town to Macbeth and having the instructor insist on me reading it to the class, she thought the other kids gave a damn about Bruce Springsteen.

Driving across Hathaway Bridge in Spring Break traffic to go to work with Badlands distortedly loud from a Firebird's rear speakers.

Opening a package from Europe of a bootleg I spent 75 dollars on called Live In The Promised Land from The Darkness on The Edge of Town Tour with an 878 minute guitar intro for Prove It All Night.

Three guys in need of a shave in a rented car traveling through Tennessee, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, to find Newsies. Huddled up outside the Arena in Columbus Ohio and hearing Bruce tune up with Take Em As They Come with The E Street Band. That night I saw Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band do Darkness on the Edge of Town, there it was all right in front of me, I still haven't got over it….

Driving up to Macon Georgia 5,000 times to see my Brothers and Nieces with Candy's Room forcing the wimpiest driver alive (me) to speed.

The title track says it all

They're still racing out at the Trestles
But that blood it never burned in her veins
Now I hear she's got a house up in Fairview
And a style she's trying to maintain
Well if she wants to see me
You can tell her that I'm easily found
Tell her there's a spot out 'neath Abram's Bridge
And tell her there's a darkness on the edge of town

Everybody's got a secret Sonny
Something that they just can't face
Some folks spend their whole lives trying to keep it
They carry it with them every step that they take
Till some day they just cut it loose
Cut it loose or let it drag 'em down
Where no one asks any questions
Or looks too long in your face
In the darkness on the edge of town

Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow
I lost my money and I lost my wife
Them things don't seem to matter much to me now
Tonight I'll be on that hill 'cause I can't stop
I'll be on that hill with everything I got
Lives on the line where dreams are found and lost
I'll be there on time and I'll pay the cost
For wanting things that can only be found
In the darkness on the edge of town
I have nothing else to add. Bruce Springsteen is my poet Hero, he is a force of nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment